Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Relationships

I often think of the relationships in my life. My friends, my family, my neighbors. I often ask myself if those relationships bring glory to the Lord or do they draw me away from who I want to follow. Many times when I feel inside my-self that the relation is drawing me into sin I often pull back and shelter my-self. So, this week I find my-self thinking about the relationships my children are involved in.

I know that one of my many many roles as a mom is a protector of my boys but I have never thought of protecting them from friends, school/play mates. Only keeping them away from obvious dangers.





Do not be bound together with unbelievers; for what partnership have righteousness and lawlessness, of what fellowship have light with darkness? 2Corinthians 6:14

with our recent transition to homeschooling have been reading several books about homeschooling. The book I am currently working on has really affected me. Educating the WholeHearted Child, is a book that is several years old but it is rooted deep in scripture. This book has challenged me in many new ways. It has caused me to refocus my family, God has been the center of our lives, but I am not so sure that our little family was next in line to that.

With my oldest about to be 8 I am quickly realizing that he is starting to make his own choices (or at least wants to make his own choices) We have tried to set our home up in a manner that his friends will enjoy hanging out here for years to come. I have been so focused on that I have not stopped to think about where do we draw that line in our children having close friendships with unbelievers. The Lord God calls us to be disciples for him, but do children really have the intellectual know how to achieve this yet. I say no, I have watched my precious children challenge me on a moral manner already because I friend of his told him otherwise. I love that when you are young you have not yet had experience with fools and liars in your life so you eagerly believe what ever is spoken to you (hence having "faith like a child") but this is also very dangerous when we live in a fallen world and the enemy comes after you as a child to try and separate you from a life with God.

So I sit here at a crossroads wondering how much is too much for my sweet young men who have close friendship with children who live in home on the opposite end of what we are trying to achieve in our home.

Prayerfully seeking the right answer...

No comments: